Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Raw Butternut Squash Casserole

Pin It Now!



I think I have found my new comfort food: Raw butternut squash "pasta" with creamy cashew "alfredo" sauce.  I was amazed that it actually was "pasta-like." The sauce was amazing. I did cheat with the sauce, though, as I accidentally bought roasted cashews awhile back, so I used those, which gave it a really unique flavor.




So, here's what I did: I peeled the squash with a potato peeler and cut the squash in long quarters. 

Then I used the peeler to take off strips of squash. I added a little oil to the strips (I think it would have been really good with peanut oil), stirred, and let it set while I made the sauce. 

For the sauce, I took the cashews and ground them in my Vitamix. (You can use a regular blender, but it may be grainy.) Then I added some smashed garlic, sea salt, and a little water. I blended it until smooth. (If I had had raw cashews, I would have soaked and drained the cashews and then made the sauce. I think half raw and half roasted would also be good.)

Then I poured the sauce over the noodles and added a little paprika for color. I put a dollup of blended raw young coconut meat on top, and a few sprigs of spearmint. It looked purty! I served it with pomengranate arils, which made a nice color combination.

Just a note - The next day I had some leftovers of this, and to my surprise, the flavors had blended to something that bore an uncanny resemblance to tuna casserole. This was fine in my book, because I had been missing tuna casserole something fierce! 

This, like most raw dishes, is naturally dairy-free and gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment