Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Lighter Almond Meal

Pin It Now!


Gluten-free is all over the place. More and more people feel that wheat and other gluten products are wreaking havoc on their digestive systems and causing other problems as well. But how disappointing it can be to find that many of the ingredients used in gluten-free mixes and recipes are just as disruptive, if not more so.



Almonds--and nuts in general--were probably my biggest trigger of IBS attacks, so I would have never dreamed that one day almonds would be one of the mainstays of my diet (mostly via almond milk). This lighter almond meal is made from the leftover pulp I get from making my almond milk. I put the almond pulp in bags in the freezer, and when I get enough accumulated to make it worthwhile, I thaw it all, spread in on the dehydrator trays, and let the dehydrator run all night at about 105*. Then next morning I check it, and when it is dry all the way through, I run it through my food processor in batches. Then I put it in freezer bags again and store the dried meal in the freezer or fridge. 

The lighter colored meal was made from the pulp of blanched almonds (skins have been removed). Now, this almond meal will be much lower in fat and other nutrients than whole almond meal, since much of the nutrition was kept in the milk. But if what you are looking for is just something that's both light and naturally gluten-free for baking, this will do nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment