Monday, September 20, 2010

My Summer Favorite

Pin It Now!

This past summer I would have to say that my dominant craving was for cherries. I always try to give in to healthy cravings as much as possible, and I am never surprised, but still amazed, to find that when I crave something, there is always a reason for it.

In this case, there are a few reasons that pop out at me. First of all, cherries are full of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Cherries are also a good source of melatonin, which promotes good circadian rythyms and good sleep. Cherries are high in many nutrients that support the immune system. All these are good indicators that raw cherries should be helpful to anyone with chemical sensitivities, which often involves a systemic inflammatory condition and a damaged immune system. And of course, cherries are also great for kidney and bladder problems, which seem to go hand in hand with chemical sensitivities.

I also took note of the fact that cherries are high in vitamin C, boron, and other nutrients that support bone health. Two years ago I broke the bone just above my ankle and six months later the doctors called it a non-healing bone. There was virtually no difference from when I first broke the bone. At that time, I turned to kelp as a source of bone-healing nutrients and my pain disappeared within a few weeks, but it didn't surprise me to find that I am still craving raw foods that support bone health, especially at my age.

Anyway, I ate LOTS of cherries this summer. Time after time they would be my entire meal. It really kind of spoiled me, as I rarely prepared food at all. Now, as the seasons are changing, I sense that my cravings are changing, too. But I still LOVE cherries!

No comments:

Post a Comment